Sammy J. Gurulé, from Tres Piedras, NM was a freshman CAMP student who began college in the Fall of 2006. Due to a tragic car accident, Sammy lost his life on November 10, 2006. Sammy was involved in many clubs, was a hunting guide and range rider and was very active in FFA. He was majoring in Animal Science, with a dream of being a veterinarian or a medical doctor. He touched many lives in his short time here at NMSU, and with this scholarship, his friends, mother and father and CAMP family hope that his memory will continue to be an inspiration to other NMSU students who are pursuing a degree. This scholarship is a student driven fundraiser through the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) Student Council through ASNMSU. The CAMP Student Council has an enchilada fundraising sale each year, and the proceeds are exclusively to the scholarship. The application for this scholarship is through Scholar Dollars.
- Must be enrolled full-time
- Must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Must have community service and/or leadership activities as evidenced by membership and
participation in campus and/or community organizations.
- Must have demonstrated financial need
- Must be a sophomore or junior
- Be a New Mexico resident
- Be an active member of the CAMP Student Council within the last two years